Wednesday, March 3, 2010

USATF Weekend


Friday

4:15am leave for airport
6:15am String of flights begins
4:00pm Arrive in Albuquerque
5:00pm 5 Mile run with Wilson, Ran towards the Mountains, Real cool
6:30pm Picked up my packet at athlete head quavers. While we were doing this OTC was there, my nerves hit me for the first time.
7:15pm Got back to our room ate and went to bed.

Saturday

8:00am Breakfast. 2 Belgian Waffles with a ton of syrup and a donut.
10:00am 3 Mile Shake out on the bike path. This thing went on forever and was nice
and flat
3:00pm Head over to the meet. I don't race till 5:30ish. When we get there I get my Bib with my name on it and the athlete area was pretty awesome. I sat along the wall, listened to my iPOD and watched the sprinters warm up. As my race got closer more of the mid-d and distance guys were arriving. I was the most nervous/anxious I have ever been.
5:30pm RACE TIME. They brought us out to the track about 5 min before we were scheduled to go off so we got in some good strides. I found my self striding out with Symmonds and the rest of the OTC. Everybody who has made it in the event was on the track and I was fortunate enough to share it with them. Unreal. I watched the first heat go and all three OTC guys were in that heat and all went 1:48.xx - 1:47xx. Next was my turn. I took the track with Jacob Hernandez, Brian Shaw, Brian Gagnon, and Liam Boylan-Pett. Went out rather slow compared to the first heat, we went through 400m single file 54 in the front and 55 in the back (me) Didn't lose contact with the group until 700m or so where they took off. I ran 1:52.11, Not bad I guess for running at altitude. Here it is:



5:40pmAfter I got off the phone with everybody who called and returned texts I got to go for my cooldown and watch the rest of the meet that night. The 3ks were crazy in thier own way, The Men's 3k went out in 4:40 for the MILE and in the Women's there was an exciting finish. Here are some pics from after that race.




Sunday

Sunday we hiked a mountain and hung out until the meet start. We got to watch all the races and talk to the athletes and coaches. The races were fun and getting to know everyone was cool too. I really enjoyed the experience. Sunday Night there was a get an athlete party at the Hotel Head Quarters. We met up with Brian Gagnon and his brother. We were later joined by Sean Tully, Rob Novak, and Liz Maloy. Good Times. I got pictures but the disposable camera isn't done yet so when it is I will post them.

Thank you for the support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment